Question: Is CT scan to diagnose diverticulitis effective?

inokc - Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:25 pm

I'm 53, female. I have diverticulosis and suspected diverticulitis though it has not been diagnosed. Over the weekend I became sick with my typical symptoms: sharp abdominal pain, fever, gas/

The doctor on call prescribed Cipro and Flagil and told me to call first thing Monday (today) for a CT scan. Because the doctor's scheduler sat on this all day the request was not sent to the hospital for scheduling. In addition, my insurance company wants anywhere from 3-10 days for preapproval.

My question is when does a CT scan's use as a diagnostic become moot? I've been on the antibiotics for 3 days. If I ever do get scheduled, I don't want the cost and radiation to go for naught. Does anyone know?
Leslie
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:24 pm

User avatar Hi Inokc,

If your symptoms are getting better you may not need to have the CT scan. If this is the case I would suggest that you contact your doctor to see if you still need the scan.

|