Question: Manual Evacuation

basilbonnet - Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:19 pm

I am a 30yr old female.
I have used the method of manual evacuation to expel bowels for most of my life. It was something that I began doing when I was around 7 years old, and it's the only way I can relieve myself. It's become almost like an addiction. It has been a terrible burden on me. When I spend weekends away with friends I go for days without a movement because I cannot get the time alone I need.
I am worried - I am now engaged and some day soon I hope to have kids, but I don't know what kind of problems this can cause. This cannot be healthy. I make sure to scrub my hands afterwards, and I've never told anyone about this.
I want to be able to go to the bathroom like a normal person, but I am unable to.
Am I the only one who does this, or is there a name for people like me? What can I do to stop this?
What kind of health risks (besides the obvious bacterial risks) can come with this habit?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:07 pm

User avatar Hi Basilbonnet,

I would recommend that you see a GI specialist. The underlying question is why is it necessary for you to use manual evacuation to have a bowel movement?

It may be that this has been such a long standing issue that your bowel simply has forgotten how to feel the urge to have a bowel movement. This can be returned but it takes a long treatment course.

If there is an underlying reason that you began to use this method this reason may still be present. This is where the GI specialist comes in. They can help determine what tests and treatments you may need to help solve this issue.

Regarding the issue of pregnancy I don't think there are any serious concerns about this. I do suspect that it may be a bit of a burden though. The one possible risk (that is present without pregnancy also) is that the manual evacuation may increase the risk of getting tears that could let bacteria into your bloodstream causing a serious infection.

I do think this issue is of enough concern to see a doctor about it.

basilbonnet - Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:32 am

Thank you for the reply. I just want to know - have you ever heard of anything lile this before? Am I alone in this? Is the GI doctor going to think I'm crazy or something?

Dr. Chan Lowe wrote:Hi Basilbonnet,

Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:37 pm

User avatar You are most certainly not alone. I would venture that your GI specialist will probably have seen similar cases in the past.

|