Question: Do I have an allergic reaction or food intolerance?

kunglao - Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:34 am

Age: 30
Sex: Male
Ethnic: Asian
Height: 5’7”
Weight: 115

I had history of vitiligo, eczema, hives, sinuses, red eye and nosebleed. I had bleeding ulcer in 1998. I was diagnosed with gastritis and ulcer in 2002. It was H-Pylori in my stomach. I took triple antibiotics treatment. The burning pain continues from my sternum to the back. I can’t eat spicy, greasy, high in sugar, fats or caffeine. It got worse in 2004. I got very sick I am slowly losing weight from 135 lbs to 115 lbs.

In 2005, I can’t tolerate most food. I feel irritate and bloat if I eat food or fluid that contain wheat, milk, high in sugar, rich or creamy sauce, hard or highly process food. Fruits, soda, and spicy spices give me heartburn. Most fruits, sweet potatoes pie, and curry create blood blister in my mouth. Candy bar, cakes, cappuccino, bagel and pancake make me sick and bloated. The food that I can eat are rice, cook vegetable, all meats, soft or plain, light spices food, etc. I can drink warm water with small amount of fresh lemon or orange. This diet has helped me feel less gassy and constipated. Probiotics, Omega Complex, and Ginger Tea are very helpful.

Since I have these problems, I often have acne break out. Once in a while I had blood blister and canker sores in my mouth a few minutes after eating. I often feel burning in the chest to the back, mental fog, irritating, bloating or gas with pain in the lower abdominal after eating 1 hour that last up to 6 hours. Sometimes I vomit after eating, especially ice-cream. Sometimes I spit out small amount of blood dot. Sometimes my stomach gurgles and produce odor when I breathe. Sometimes my eyelid look puffy and dark circle around my eyes. I am often constipated along with minor pain in my lower back and legs. As result of all these problems, I become more depress, anxiety and fatigue. I chew Maalox to relieve the burning sensation. I was on proton inhibitor for years with no result. I took anti-depression and some anxiety for a month with some side effects, so I stop. It did not seem to help.

My blood test was normal. CAT scan shows a small cyst in the liver. Moderate narrowing of the proximal celiac artery. I had mild thick folding and inflammation in the duodenum, stomach, and esophagus. Biopsy showed increase number of lymphoplasmacytic cells in the gastric area. Small bowel follow through took almost 3hrs for barium to go through and large bowel show stool or constipated. 24 hr PH test were normal. All tests were done in 2003-2004.

Can I have all this symptoms from gastritis or duodenitis? Or does it seem like my body is having allergic reaction or food intolerance? Vitamins deficiency? Are there any other conditions that might cause similar symptoms? I have seen couple doctors. One thinks IBS, anxiety or behcets. Others have no clues.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:43 pm

User avatar Hi Kunglao,

If it has been a while since you have seen a GI specialist I would recommend you see them again. There is a lot of new information that may help figure out what is going on.

The ongoing gastritis or duodenitis can certainly cause symptoms like you are describing. Chronic pancreatitis should also be checked for. This may be a food allergy. In particular there is a condition known as eosinophilic gastroenteropathy that is a relatively new condition that has been described. In the past, the biopsy of the stomach may have shown increased eosinophils and may not have been thought of as significant. Now we know that this condition actually causes a significant amount of pain and is usually due to a food allergy.

Inflammatory bowel diseases and celiac disease should probably also be evaluated for.

The GI specialists can help work this up for you.

kunglao - Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:51 pm

I have a CBC, celiac, small bowel, stool test, skin allergy test last year, everything was normal. My GI don't have a good diagnose beside IBS. I am experience physical symptoms like ulcer in mouth, muscle weakness, irritate after eating. I saw a alternative doctor and she told me I have low good bacteria and ELISA IgG test show alot of food reactions, small traces of blood in stool, but my doctor told me its not reliable. I seen several doctors and they don't tell me anything. I don't know what else to do.
 kunglao - Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:40 am

Here's my actual test result. Can you explain me what it all mean. What kind of gastritis? What type of white blood cell increase in my stomach? Is it leukocytes gastritis? Can gastritis and ulcer be cure? What about behcets possibility? My GI said IBS, not with all this evidence?
Thanks!!!!!!!!

CBC and urine was normal. Stool test for H-Pylori, fecal fat, tissue transglutaminase AB IgA, ova and parasites, C. difficile toxin test were normal. However, there are fecal occult blood and low beneficial bacteria. Skin allergy test and 24 hr PH test were normal. ELISA, IgG show a lot of food reactions. MRI show moderate narrowing of the proximal celiac artery. CAT show a small cyst in the liver, prominence of pancreatic tail. Upper GI show mild fold thickening of the gastric mucosa and proximal duodenum with some reflux. Endoscope gastric biopsy show increase number of lymphoplasmacytic cells in the lamina propria. No significant neutrophilic activity. Esophageal biopsy portion of tissue composed of cardiac type glandular mucosa and inflammation associated reactive epithelial changes. Small bowel follow through took almost 3 hours post-ingestion and moderate of stool in the colon.

|