Question: nausea only after eating, gas, swelling abdomen

photogirlla - Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:54 pm

Hi there
I'm a 46 year old female with a 2 year old stomach problem that appeared after a bout with the stomach bug in 2000. For three weeks after that I was nauseous, couldn't eat.This reactivated every time I got a regular flu-- the nausea, food tasting bad, gas, etc. I lived on eggs and toast.Then it would go away after 3-4 weeks.

Then in 2005 it came again, and stayed.

As soon as I eat ANYTHING-I feel nauseous, like I've swallowed an oily softball. my stomach makes these horrible sewagey-noises, I fart as soon as I start chewing.The food feels like it sits there all night, though no problems when I lie down or sleep.

I eat very little during the day because the one thing that helps a bit is Ativan, 1/4-1/2 tablet-- cuts the pressure, swelling down. My abdomen can distend 10 whole inches.Ativan makes me loopy and tired, though, so I don't take it except before dinner.

I poo 2-3 x a day, first in the am, second ones are looser and come hour or 2 after.My abdomen distends before poos but flattens after ( don't know if that matters or not).

Was tested for helio, but am too afraid of sedation to have things shoved down my stomach, so have been trying herbs and acupuncture, which help with the gurgling, but not the basic sick lump feeling when there is food in my stomach.

I'm on Yasmin ( for a fibroid and cysts on ovaries), I take Ambien to sleep now and then, and the Ativan at night so I can get some food in there with less misery and discomfort.

My neighbor's dogs had giardia, and she has my symptoms, gas, fullness, feeling unwell, etc including lack of diahrrea.she has it for months and finally got rid of it after 2 rounds of drugs. Could giardia last this long? Could I get it from being licked my a dog?

any suggestions appreciated. Note, there is no pain in any of this, only queasy, full, bloated, uncomfortable feelings when I eat. When I don't eat, I feel FINE. Also I am now lactose intolerant, and avoid alot of foods because the heavier it is, the worse it is for me.

Thank you!!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:19 pm

User avatar Giardia is a protozoa that can cause GI distress, including nausea and vomiting. It lives in food, water, and soil that have been contaminated with waste and which the person ingests. I have not heard of it being associated just with eating and digestion, however and otherwise not causing cramping. I would not expect it to last for years - maybe six weeks. For these reasons I would doubt it is this that you are suffering from. It is theoretically possible to contract it from a dog, though it is more commonly from swallowing recreational water that has been contaminated. Giardia is almost always present in some lakes and reservoirs, secondary water supplies and shallow wells, but it can also be in spas, pools, etc.

It sounds like you need to have a work up by a GI specialist, and I doubt you will be able to get the full diagnostic testing without undergoing some type of scope. It would be worthwhile to see the doctor anyway and you could explain your anxiety about the sedation. There may be alternatives or he/she could rule out some concerns by exam alone.

|