News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Pain in belly button incision 3 months after cholecystectomy

neala - Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:28 am

I am a female age 28. I went through my laparoscopic cholecystectomy fine with some pain 3 months ago. My belly button incision had been the sorest and could not roll over in bed on either side as the pain would shoot through my belly. Just recently after 3 months I have been having the pain again when I lay on either side and when I walk. Why would the pain come back all of a sudden? The pain shoots right through my belly...seems to be just on the left of my belly button. I have not been excersing as I had surgery on my leg to remove a suscipious mole soon after my recovery, so I had not be able to get back into my regular routine. The pain seemed to have stemmed from a hot bath I took, but the pain had not subsided and it's been over 12hrs. The incision that has healed is very sore to touch. I am wondering if I should be seeing my doctor about this or if I should just wait it out. The inicision looks fine....still a little redish purple, but I form hypertrophic scars.

Thanks.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:47 pm

User avatar Hi Neala,

There are a few possibilities. It may be that during the initial surgery there was some mild nerve damage that now has been irritated from the hot bath. In this case it is likely to get better.

Another possibility is that the area where the incision was made may be coming apart again. This is a known, relatively uncommon complication of surgery.

I would recommend you have this checked by your doctor if the pain isn't getting better soon, or if it gets worse.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here