News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Liver Diseases

Question: Worried about possible liver problems

weirdgastro - Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:39 pm

I have read related topics, but find that each person's scenario is slightly different. I am a 30 year old female, perhaps 15 pounds overweight (have been going to the gym 4 times a week since July 1) and my weakness is alcohol. However, I have a great career, albeit stressful. I really do not know what is considered to be a 'heavy' drinker, and therefore I really do not know whether the pain I am feeling is potentially liver related. My background includes the following. I do not drink daily (weekends mostly unless I have a glass of wine a time or two during the week) but I know that I do binge drink. Most Friday nights consist of about 3 stout drinks, and most Saturday nights consist of about 6 drinks. There have been occasions when I have way overdone it and vomited or had memory loss, but those are limited (maybe once a year vomiting, 5 times a year memory loss). Am I at risk for liver disease?

I have had pain on the right side under my rib cage on and off for a year or so. A couple of years ago, I had an US of my abdomen and it was normal. I have also had liver enzyme levels checked twice in the last couple of years, most recently a few months ago. The doctor just said all levels were normal. It does not hurt any more when you push on it that it does when you don't push. The pain is usually about 1 or 2 inches below the last rib in vertical location, and about halfway through the rib width in horizontal location (maybe 4 inches from my side?).

Any help would be great!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:49 am

User avatar Hi Wierdgastro,

While this pain may be related to the liver I would suspect it is most likely due to something else. Possibilities include gallbladder problems or stomach/intestine problems.

If this pain continues I would suggest you see your doctor for further evaluation.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here