Question: Crohn's Question ??

Leigh83 - Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:15 pm

Hi, I am a 24 year old female with crohn's disease. The first time I had a flare up I lost about 15lbs in less than 2 weeks. For a while I had continuous diarrhea and cramping, now I have constipation and shap pain. The pain is so severe I have to grab whatever is close to me, it takes my breath. I have also developed a fissue, Somtimes the blood runs down my legs. Here is my question.

How do I treat the constipation with out irritating my crohn's?? or is constipation and severe pain part of crohn's too?? If so, what do I do about it?? Thanks so much!!

My meds are

6-mp, 75mg
remicade every 8 weeks
seroquel

I had my appendix out Jan 22 of 06
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:31 pm

User avatar Hi Leigh83,

This seems like a straight forward issue; however, there is more than appears. There are a few possibilities regarding your constipation. It may be that you simply have straight forward constipation. In this case, using a medication such as glycolax is a very safe method of treating it.

On the other hand, the constipation may actually be a sign that you are having ongoing Crohn's issues. The Crohn's may be causing some poor absorption of nutrients in a certain area. In response, the rest of the GI tract may be increasing it's absorption causing too much water to be absorbed. This results in constipation. If this is the case you need to treat the Crohn's to resolve the constipation.

I would recommend you talk with your GI doctor about how to best treat your constipation. You may need some testing to find out which situation is occurring.

|