Question: re: stomach problems

fred johnson - Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:04 pm

Hi:

I am a 28 year old male. I was diagnosed with IBS and Gerd 6 months ago. I have tried every test out there and they found nothing. I have also tried every ibs med out there and have no real success.

I currently take acacia fiber daily along with probiotics. Again, doesnt seem to help much. My biggest complaint is that i get stomach turning pains after i have a bowel movement and get extremely bloated for the remainder of the day. If i didnt take any fiber i wouldnt go for about 3-5 days. But, if i don't go then i get extremely nauseus.

I think i have some minor constipation issues thats why i take fiber. I also have hemmroids that come and go. Anyways, ive been told that i need more fiber so i will go more frequently but i cant seem to figure out if going more is helping or actually make this worse.

Im a big mess. I can either have nausea from not going due to the extreme bloating or turning and cramps from forcing myself to go.

Please help.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:42 pm

User avatar It would take a doctor to really figure out what is going on and I know you have done this before. Meanwhile, you can work on the constipation and I would encourage more than just increasing fiber.

You must drink plenty of water. If your body senses dehydration it will pull water from whatever source it can find - even the stool.

Get daily exercise. Walk or jog about 30 minutes.

Give yourself time. You need to relax on the toilet at a regular time each day - after breakfast is often a good time. Bring reading materials and just get into the habit of doing this without feeling rushed. Your brain can get into gear and make it happen even if you weren't feeling the urge before. If your mind perceives you will not be rushed, it will be less likely to cause you to avoid it due to "not enough time to get the job done." We often withhold for our own convenience or busy schedule. Make this a priority - it clearly is affecting your life.

Try a stool softener. These have varying results but it can help in conjunction with the other things.

In addition to a fiber supplement, change your diet to include LOTS of fresh vegetables and fruits - almost all are good but leave the skins on potatoes, apples, etc. Your grains should be only whole grains (not even the kind of bread that looks like white but they claim is wheat - get something with some real substance to it. Eat oatmeal or cracked wheat for breakfast or a bran cereal or muffin. Nuts are good - almonds, Brazil nuts, peanuts, and walnuts especially. Dried beans are also an important part of your diet.

People don't want to get out of their comfort zone and would naturally prefer to pop pills that would help but sometimes the old-fashioned remedies are actually the best cure.

If you can't get improvement, be sure to see a gastroenterologist about this.

|