Question: chest pain and gastritis

4PtSake - Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:44 am

I am a 45 year old female, was recently diagnosed after an endoscopy with a stomach polyp (removed) and erosive gastritis. My mother and brother both have acid reflux, I have had irritable bowl issues since childhood and in more recent years have developed what I think is lactose intolerance. I am currently taking Lipitor, Lexapro, Nexium, baby aspirin, fish and cod liver oil, and gluc/chond for my osteoarthritis and joint pain. Unfortunately, after many attempts at quiting I am still a smoker.
After the endoscopy I was rather spacy due to the sedatives and never thought to ask my GI Dr. about the chest pain...one of the symptoms that lead to the endoscopy...and feel silly calling him about it.
Prior to the endoscopy I had trouble on and off for several years with severe pain in the middle of my chest...several inches above where my ribs come together. Usually it would only last a few minutes and happen only once in a while. In the last year it started happening more often, was more intense, and was lasting as long as 30-45 minutes. I finally went to the ER one night when I simply couldn't stand it any more and wasn't sure I wasn't having a heart attack...no matter what I did it wouldn't let up. I have since had a stress test and several EKG's which all came out fine. Because I smoke and the other symptoms (including occasional indigestion) my Dr decided I should have the endoscopy.
Long story short, I've done pretty well with the chest pain lately, with the Prilosec I was taking and the Nexium I take now, though I still have minor twinges now and then. Is it likely that the chest pain IS from the gastritis? And if so, what causes it? I can understand the occasional pain I get lower down...between my belly button and ribs...but the chest pain really makes no sense. He said my esophogus was fine. I also sometimes get pain in my lower ribs...could this be related as well?
I know those questions are a little broad so I don't expect a thorough explaination. All I want is to understand enough so I won't keep worrying there might be something else wrong...which I'm sure doesn't help :o)
Thanks so much for any info and feedback you are able to offer and for volenteering to answer questions...it's greatly appreciated.
 kunglao - Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:40 pm

I have gastritis and some reflux. The pain feel about the same from chest to the back and below the sternum. You will feel gnawing and burning pain after eating that will last hours. It will last days if you have gastritis and ulcer. If prilosec and nexium help right after taking, then you probably has reflux.

|