Forum Name: Liver Diseases

Question: Abdominal burning

Eric55 - Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:59 pm

I'm experiencing a slight burning sensation from just upper right of my navel and over to my hip bone and down toward the right side pelvic region. This began about a year ago and hasn't changed much since. I've cut back significantly on drinking beer that past month. Before that I was a heavy daily drinker for about 10 years. No other symptoms, just that mild burning feeling.

My liver panel is normal. CT scan (back in February this year) with contrast was normal. Two ultrasounds, one in February and another in September this year showed nothing but a slightly enlarged liver. Doctors don't seem to be concerned with this. Colonoscopy performed, and all good there. Endoscopy showed an inflamed stomach and was prescribed nexium which is hard to tell if it's working or not when I take it.

Could there be something seriously wrong with my liver despite the testing I've gone through? My doctor says I don't have any gall stones. Could there be other problems related to my gall bladder that could cause such a thing? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I'm a 38 year old male with a healthy diet. I'm not over weight either.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:21 am

User avatar Hi Eric55,

It is a little unusual for the liver to cause a burning feeling. The pain may be related to an inflamed stomach, which can give a burning feeling, although the area usually affected is in the center of the abdomen above the belly button and just below the ribs.

Another possibility would be nerve pain. It may be that you have damaged one of the nerves supplying sensation to the area causing it to be chronically inflamed.

My suspicion is that this is not the liver but something else that is causing your pain. I'd recommend you follow up with your doctor to continue to work this up.

Eric55 - Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:22 pm

Thanks Dr. Lowe for your input!
 Sisco - Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:58 pm

I have a similar question. I do have a burning sensation in my stomach below my rib cage and also in my lower back. I have scheduled a visit with my dr for next week since it is the only time i am available. I consider myself a hypochondriac so i read a little on webmd and i diagnosed myself with a kidney infection, which of course i don't have any pain and my urine is clear. Just kind of wondering what i can do to stop the burning sensation. it is kind of odd! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

|