News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: bowel movement obstruction, anal itch

sj - Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:01 pm

Hello

i'm a male in my 20s, healthy.

over the past two days or so, i have had trouble with my bowels. there is somewhat of a feeling of obstruction, and i often have to strain to pass stool. at the risk of sounding crude, the stool also does not exit as "one piece," coming out in slow, multiple steps instead. there is also some anal itch around the area, which at times, seems to go away with more thorough cleaning, but somewhat returns right after a bowel movement. at times, i also feel a certain "heaviness" around the anal area, as though something were stuck there.

though i've had constipation on previous occasions, it hasn't been of this kind where i feel "i'm not exactly done" after a bowel movement with the itch sensation and the feeling of something "being stuck" at the end of the rectum. there have been no major changes in my diet lately, except for maybe that i'm eating more salted nuts. i've tried eating more fiber cereals as well but that hasn't helped too much.

i am nevertheless rather concerned. could you please advise me as to what the cause may be, or what i can do to remedy this? could this be something serious, or just a temporary problem?

thanks so much.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:09 pm

User avatar Hello,
I would assume this is temporary and try some bowel techniques. If not improved, then I would recommend you see a gastroenterologist about this.

For now, even though you deny serious constipation, I would recommend increasing your water intake to at least 64 ounces a day and include more fiber in cereals, breads (choose the more dense, whole grains as opposed to the fluffy white). Add fruits and vegetables - you should have at least five servings daily and preferably more like nine. Leave the skins on when you eat these whenever possible. You can add additional fiber in the form of a supplement such as Metamucil, Citracel, Benefiber, etc.

Exercise (like a brisk walk) almost every day for 30 minutes and plan time for daily bowel movements by sitting there daily at about the same time long enough your brain comes to understand you will be giving your body adequate time to eliminate completely. Sometimes we "put it on hold" because we are so busy. Even if you're not having a strong urge, your body will develop a habit if you allow this time daily. Take reading materials with you!

If this routine does not help, see your doctor.

Good luck.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here