Question: Sudden strong pain in and below belly button

christinablack - Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:12 am

I am 24 years old and have no past surgeries. I am not on any medication except for Yasmine (birth control). Yesterday, I felt a sharp pain in my belly and found the most sensitive spot was in the bottom of my belly button. The pain begins there and extends down. That is the only spot it is a surface pain. It hurts for me to sit and it feels better when I am laying down flat or standing up straight. It hurts when I laugh or make most movements. I don't know if it's something as simple as a strained muscle or something wrong with my abdomen. I am not having any nausea or actual stomach pain, besides the normal reflux I have. This has never happened before. I just moved to a new state and do not have a doctor. Please help.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:49 am

User avatar Hi Christinablack,

This may be a pulled muscle. The other possibility would be an umbilical hernia. This is when the intestines come through the abdominal wall due to a weakness in a particular area (in this case the belly button). The risk of a hernia is that the intestines may become trapped.

If this pain persists I would suggest that you have it evaluated by a doctor.

|