News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Sudden strong pain in and below belly button

christinablack - Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:12 am

I am 24 years old and have no past surgeries. I am not on any medication except for Yasmine (birth control). Yesterday, I felt a sharp pain in my belly and found the most sensitive spot was in the bottom of my belly button. The pain begins there and extends down. That is the only spot it is a surface pain. It hurts for me to sit and it feels better when I am laying down flat or standing up straight. It hurts when I laugh or make most movements. I don't know if it's something as simple as a strained muscle or something wrong with my abdomen. I am not having any nausea or actual stomach pain, besides the normal reflux I have. This has never happened before. I just moved to a new state and do not have a doctor. Please help.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:49 am

User avatar Hi Christinablack,

This may be a pulled muscle. The other possibility would be an umbilical hernia. This is when the intestines come through the abdominal wall due to a weakness in a particular area (in this case the belly button). The risk of a hernia is that the intestines may become trapped.

If this pain persists I would suggest that you have it evaluated by a doctor.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here