Question: Discomfort in Upper Right Quadrant Just Below Ribcage

Rosetta - Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:50 pm

I am 49 yr old Female. I have had a hysterectomy in October of 2001 and a hernia repair at right side of my navel during same surgery. some type of mesh was used. I do not know what. I also had tubal ligations in 1984 and again in 1993 when I was disagnosed with ectopic pregnancy (also on right side) . I am currently take Vytorin for my cholestral. My problem that I am having is a discomfort in the upper right quadrant of my abdomin. It does not hurt. Just feels like something is there that should not be. Had a total abdominal ultrasound and was told my organs (liver, gallbladder, kidneys, appendix) all like normal. When i asked my GYN he stated that maybe i had adhesions. I was told that maybe i should have a colonoscopy or CAT scan. I also seem to have lower back pain if i sit or stand too long. wondering if that is related to discomfort in upper belly. what should i be looking for? Not really having problems with bowel movement. I pass gas alright, i feel. No nausea, no diarhhea. Just the nagging discomfort. Any suggestions?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:35 am

User avatar Hi Rosetta,

There are only a few things in the right upper quadrant of the abdomen. The intestines, the liver and the gallbladder are the common causes. The right kidney is also a possibility.

An adhesion is always a possibility when previous abdominal surgeries have been done. Although more commonly adhesions present with partial or complete bowel obstructions.

You may want to consider seeing a GI specialist. A colonoscopy may be of some benefit. You may also want to have the ultrasound redone to really look well at the gallbladder. Sometimes there can be some fine sludge that can occur and can be missed on the ultrasound initially.

Rosetta - Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:40 pm

So....even though I am not in any pain it could still be my gallbladder or something with the kidney? I do notice that i have low back pain intermittently. not all the time...mostly after sitting for a while. the discomfort i feel....i cannot feel a lump or anything. sometimes i wonder if i may have a problem with the omentum. i will try to get colonoscopy. i am not insured so will have to do this when i can. just finished paying off for the ultra sound. my prayer is that this is not something serious that waiting will be detrimental to my health.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:47 pm

User avatar Hi again,

I cannot guarantee you that this is not serious but from what you are describing it is unlikely to be an emergency. It should still be evaluated though. Mild gallbladder or other issues can produce more of a discomfort than overt pain.

You may want to talk to your local health department to see if there are any clinics in your area that can provide care at a free or reduced fee for those without insurance.

|