Question: Abdominal Pain near Navel

kmd5582 - Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:16 am

I'm hoping someone can help me to decide if I should go to the doctor now rather than later. For the past week I have noticed a pain approximately 1 inch to the right of my belly button. When pressure is applied it feels like there is a bruise there, however there is no markings on top of the skin to indicate that this is the case. The day I realised there was pain I hadn't done anything in terms of knocking something into it - so I ruled out trauma. Through the week it has progressively gotten worse to the point that when I apply pressure the pain is not only where I put the pressure, but I also feel uncomfortable across to the right side of my groin. There is no pain when I urinate so I have cancelled out UTI, I have had normal bowel movements and there has been no diarreah. My body seems normal except for the uncomforable pain. I've done internet searches to see what organs are in that area but I can't seem to pin point anything special except for intestines. I don't want to go to the doctors and have them tell me that there is nothing major - any suggestions. I am 25, Female and have had 2 kids (aged 32 months and 17 months). I do have a separation of the abdominal muscles from these pregnancies that is only 1 finger width so not sure if the pain is associated with these muscles or not.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:09 am

Let me tell you that the location of an abdominal pain is not a reliable index of where the disease is. That said, is the pain continuous or does it come and go?

Urinary tract infections can involve the kidneys, ureters, bladder, urethra. Dysuria (pain on urination) is a symptom of lower urinary tract infections. Renal and ureteric conditions can manifest with flank pain, or anterior abdominal pain on the side of the affected urinary tract and will not have pain on urination.

On the other hand, if you are feeling bloated it could be from colonic distension. This could be tender.

The discomfort that you feel on the right side of your groin can be a sign of pelvic inflammatory disease (infection and inflammation of the ovarian tubes). This can be quite serious in itself.

As you can see the possibilities are endless and cannot be explored without a thorough examination. I have listed the causes above only to stress that you must visit your doctor at once.

I am an oncologist and I would not put cancer at the top of your list of differential diagnoses, given your age and the lack of any other warnings. However, the presence of tenderness that is progressively increasing in intensity requires your immediate attention.

Please update this thread after you have visited your doctor.
 kmd5582 - Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:19 am

Thanks for the advice. I have decided that I will visit my GP now rather than later. My abdomen has gotten to the stage that when I lay on my back to examine where the pain is, everything on my right side is tender. From up near my rib cage (I guess possibly the liver or gallbladder) to down in the groin region (possibly ovaries or something similar). I also feel there is a sligh swelling on that side. Nothing too noticeable, but noticeably enough. I will update with the diagnosis for your reference once complete.

Thanks again

|