Question: Fear of losing bowel control.

Menanius - Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:49 pm

Sex: Male
Age: 22
Past Diagnoses: None
Past surgeries: None
Family History: None that I'm aware.
Current Meds: None

I think my problems would also fall under the Psychiatric catagory but the main symptom brings me here.
For nearly 5 years now I have had problems with my stomach and bowels. I am always worried that I will lose control of my bowels when I am out, be it working, or just going outside for a walk to buy groceries.

Throughout the day I have these symptoms:
-I will go to the washroom many many times and still feel like I need to go again.
-When I do, it feels like I have the runs, but the stool is still solid, no liquid.
-Almost immedietly after eating I need to go to the washroom, even if I just did.
-I am always hungry, regardless how much I eat. And I do not gain weight.
-I am now also getting very bad pains in my stomach, usually at night.
-My chest at times feels heavy, and my breathing becomes very shallow.
-I am now very depressed and tired all day and I seem to have no care for anything anymore.

When I leave the house and it hits me the hardest this is what happens:
-I start to panic for no reason and immedietly look for the nearest washroom.
-My heart will instantly start to pound in my chest
-My chest will get tight
-It will feel almost like I have adrenaline pumping through me because I'm scared.
-Throughout all of this I'm always thinking "I'm not going to make it" and actually lose control of my bowels.

This started in 2003 while I was in my last year of highschool and has been a problem since.
From 2003-2005 it was very bad, I rarely left the house except to work and sometimes missed work because of it.
From then on it was still present, but I could manage it and was able to do normal things outside the house. But I would need at least 2 hours before going anywhere to calm down and overcome and thoughts of losing control again.
I would always avoid social situations because of this. Thinking that I would not be in control of my situation if I were to randomly go out and would then panic and start to lose control again.

This problem has recently taken a new turn and is now worse then before. I can barely leave the house to buy food, and have tried but failed to make it to the doctors (I would panic and turn to come back home).
The only way I can leave the house is if I am on my bike (I am a cyclist), the act of cycling and the pain of going 'full tilt' on the bike calms me down.

It has now reached the point where I am depressed all day, I always feel tired, and if all washrooms are being used by roommates I start to panic in my own home that I will lose control. I am now even feeling depressed and fatigued while I am on my bike which was the last thing I truely enjoying doing.

I would like to stress that when I do go to the washroom, it does not feel normal, almost as if it comes out to easy, explosive even. But again, there is no liquid, though I have noticed blood on the tissue after but that may have been from going to the washroom so much those days and using cheap toilet paper?

This problem is ruining my life and I am worried that if I don't get it fixed I will continue to slip farther into depression and worse things will happen.
I fully intended to go the doctors here and get myself checked, its just a matter of being able to make it there. So until then I thought I would come on here and get opinions from anyone willing to give them.

I hope my writing above makes sence, I have always had trouble describing illness.

Thanks for reading. I hope someone can help.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:00 pm

I think this post belongs here but could also have a psychological basis. I would recommend an appointment with a gastroenterologist. Since you are anxious about the appointment, you might be able to avoid having to have another one with a specialist if you start there. Also, it is important to rule out physical causes before you explore the other possibility. But if they can't resolve it for you physically, definitely see a psychiatrist. And the therapist can be helpful in either case.

Good luck
 Menanius - Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:05 pm

Thank you Debbie.

|