Question: blood in stool...not sure how to proceed

suntower - Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:20 pm

Hi there,

I know that blood in the stool is something to have checked out. But my situation is a little bit confusing so I am looking for advice.

Over the last couple of days, I've noticed bright red blood on the surface of the stool, a bit in the bowl, and some on the toilet paper. Not a ton, but enough to know something up there 'blew'. I'm not sure how concerned to be or whether to go to my doctor because of my recent history:

I had consistent bright red blood in the stool for a few weeks back in Feb. Went to the doc. He saw hemorrhoids. Sent me to a proctologist who banded one of them in March (leaving the other for a later appt). Because of my paranoia about colon cancer I had a colonoscopy in April. It came back normal. Shortly after that went and got the other one banded. A couple of months after that (around June) I was still getting sporadic blood and some minor pain. Went back to the proctologist and he found a rectal polyp (I guess he had missed it before; the colonoscopy had seen it but not taken it out for some reason). He removed it. Pathology was early tubular adenoma, not malignant. Recently (1month ago) was checked out by another procotologist who did an 'uncomfortably detailed' digital exam and said he could feel some small papillae(?) but nothing to worry about...just get checked every year or so since the polyp I had removed means I am more likely to get others in the future.

Since then until these last few days things have been fine. But now I've been getting this bleeding. I know that the fact that I had a tubular adenoma means I should get more frequent checks (once a year or so) as well as more frequent colonoscopies (every 3 years or so). But I'm not sure if I should go to the doc now. I figure I can be extremely confident it is not due to something really serious like cancer since I've gone through all of that already this year. Something like that wouldn't have come up so quickly. Does it seem ok to wait and see how this goes?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:28 pm

It looks like you are in good hands, getting the followup that is prescribed. So, I think you don't need to rush right in. Most likely there are still some hemorrhoid issues going on, possibly internal hemorrhoids just inside. Unless the bleeding becomes heavier, you could probably wait a little while. I assume you are doing what you can to avoid constipation - exercise, lots of water, fiber, etc.

suntower - Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:35 pm

Thanks!!

|