Question: Abdominal swelling left side only, pain

Kailey12 - Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:31 pm

Hi, I am a 19 year old female and for the past month or so I've noticed that the left side of my abdomen protrudes slightly more than my right. It is not noticeable from the front, but it is from the side only to me, not to anyone else. It is only becomes recognizable after I've had my first meal, in the mornings it is early gone. At night it feels swollen. I've experienced constipation, weight loss, and now when I have bowel movements, I feel pain in my abdomen. I've experienced weight loss, I went from 100 lbs to about 85 lbs, but now I'm about 90 lbs.

I am not sure if this is related, but also on the left side, I've experienced a some breast pain near my arm pit that radiates down my arm.

I've been diagnosed with acid reflux disease in the past. My father has a history of ulcers. I have had no medications except vitamin C and vicodin that was prescribed to me for a dental filling.

Any feedback would be welcome. Thank you for your time.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:24 pm

User avatar Hi Kailey12,

Constipation can cause the intestines to increase in size which can sometimes cause some abdominal protrusion (especially in thinner people).

The weight loss is a bit concerning, although it looks like you have regained some.

I would recommend you see your doctor to discuss your constipation and weight loss issues. You may want to consider using a stool softener to help relieve your constipation and see if your swelling issue resolves. You may want to be tested for Celiac disease as well. It is quite common and often not diagnosed. It can present as constipation with or without abdominal pain, or may present more as a diarrheal illness.

If you begin loosing weight again you should definitely see your doctor to be evaluated for conditions such as inflammatory bowel diseases also.

Your breast pain may be linked if the diaphragm is being irritated by the abdomen (such as from the constipated bowel pressing on it). It may also be unrelated. If this continues you should have it evaluated also.

|