News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Blood in Stool

Scott625 - Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:54 pm

Hello, I am a 21 year old male. Beginning in about 8th grade (age 13), I can remember there being blood in my stool; however, I was not worried about it, because it would always go away after about 2 bowel movements, and I experienced absolutely no pain as a result of it. It has been occuring randomly ever since then. I haven't experienced any organ problems, and I am not on any medications. To me, the blood in my stool *seems* to be the result of a lot of abdominal physical activity, but I'm not sure how scientifically true that statement is. The main question I have relates to the infrequency of the blood, I can't seem to find any resources of people documenting the symptom to happen infrequently over a period of years. Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
 Sandy Tracy RN - Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:58 pm

User avatar Dear Scott625,

Thanks for writing in. It sounds as though you may be experiencing hemmorhoids. There are internal and external hemmorhoids, obviously the external hemmorhoids can be felt and may cause more symptoms as well as bleeding there may be itching and burning present. The internal hemmorhoids will cause some blood to appear with a bowel movement. Hemmorhoids can flare up with dehydration so if you are working out and not consuming enough fluids this can cause bleeding. Hemmorhoids also can be caused by a lack of dietary fiber.

Since this is occuring infrequently, i would increase fluids and fiber. If this occurs again I encourage you to talk to your doctor about other possible causes.

Thanks again for writing and good luck
Sandy RN

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here