Question: Positive bacterial breathing test

taz - Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:15 pm

I am 39 and have had stomach issues for about 11 months now. I had a bacterial breathing test about 3 weeks ago and it was positive. They gave me an antibotic but the pain still comes and goes. My pain is in my left rib cage alot. Is this a sympton with this bacterial overgrowth. I can' find anything that says it is. I am at my whitts end as theyhave completed so many test and this is the only one that came back positive and now the meds don't seem like they worked. I am very nervous and don't know what to do next. Any suggestions? It seems like the pain fluctuates and moves alot. It's not a major pain I would say more discomfort but worrysome. Please help. Thank you.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:24 pm

User avatar Hi Taz,

I suspect that the breath test you had was for a bacteria called H. Pylori. H. Pylori is a bacteria that can cause ulcers and stomach inflammation. Treatment for this bacteria consists of taking an antibiotic, an acid blocker and often a stomach lining coating agent. There are a few different treatment regimens that use various different combinations of all three of these classes of medicines (some use 4 drugs).

The antibiotic kills the bacteria but the stomach still needs to heal. It can take several weeks or, in some cases, months for the stomach to fully heal. If there is concern that things are not going as expected, often an endoscopy (where a small camera is used to look at the stomach lining directly) is performed to see exactly what is going on and how best to treat it.

If your symptoms are not slowly getting better I would recommend you see a GI specialist for further evaluation.

taz - Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:00 pm

I went for an endoscopy after no results of getting better. The endoscopy came out fine. I was told however that I had the worse reaction to the test (when the air hit my stomach I gagged -GI dr said it was the worse case he had seen in over 20,000 procedures. He did a blod test to ck for a gluten allergy. That just came back normal as well. He now wants to try to put me on Domperidone (not sure if I spelled it right. Have no idea what this is and if I should do. He didn't explain anything. Had his nurse call and tell me to take it. I am confused and very nervous. I still have the pain under my rib cage. Mainly on left side under breast but sometimes on the right side. I get a burning sensation in my back it seems sometimes as well. I am concerned this could be something very serious although I feel I have had every test under the sun and everything comes back negative. I am happy to that but concerned all at the same time. Is there any reason my stomach could have been this sensitive. Everyone I talk to said the test was a piece of cake. My endoscopy was not. Please give me any suggestion. I am lost. This has been going on now over a year. Thank you.

|