News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: HELP!!! abdominal pain

zan - Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:58 pm

I have had this reoccuring pain behind my belly button for more than 3 months now. I am unsure of what the case is and am begining to become more worried. When I was having this pain in the begining I had panic attacks along with the pain because it is a stabbing, twisting pain. It is not horrible but it is an uncomfortable PAIN.
I went to a family doctor who told me that it was a hernia and nothing that would require surgery. I continued to have this pain that soon starting raditating to my back so I went to my OBGYN to get a second opinion...I am now 11 weeks pregnant. He stated that it was just pregnancy or something with my intestine because I had no fever and no pain when touched. I am scared that it is an abdominal anyerysm. all of symptoms point to that. My OB stated that it was not because he could feel my aorta because I am thin and he would know that...he did not listen or do any other tests...I am so worried. I am 22 and relativly healthy. I had a c section a june 03 and am pregnant now....I have had panic disorder for 3 1/2 years. I have had allot of gas and difficulty passing stools. I am curious now also if it may be intestinal as he said. If so what might this be and what do my bext steps need to be?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:18 am

User avatar Hello,

When investigating abdominal pain, it is important for the physician to first exclude any serious causes. Those at high risk include, patients above the age of 50 years, those with dysphagia, anorexia with weight loss or persistent vomiting; in addition to those with a palpable mass or those with evidence of GIT hemorrhage (melena, anemia or hypotension) and those presenting with a board-like abdomen. For those cases immediate surgery (laparotomy) or endoscopy may be needed.

Location is most easily categorized on the basis of embryologic origin. Pain in the periumbilical region arises from viscera of the midgut (eg, small intestine, appendix, ascending colon, proximal two thirds of the transverse colon).

Severe intensity and a "tearing" quality can be caused by a dissecting aneurysms causes pain.

On the other hand, irritable bowel syndrome could manifest as recurrent abdominal pains associated with alteration in bowel habits and alot of gas.

If you are still worried about having an aneurysm a CT scan or ultrasound can help alleviate those fears.

Best regards.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here