Question: Gallbladder polyp with symptoms

SoylentGreenie - Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:10 am

I'm a 44 y/o female. I've been experiencing intermittant upper right abdominal pain along with intermittant right flank pain. While the two pains never occur at the same time, if you stuck a pencil through where I'm having pain in the front it'd hit exactly the spot where I'm having the pain in back. The abdominal pain is more often (every few weeks) and will radiate either up to the shoulder or down my right leg and can last from hours to days. The flank pain only occurs every few months, but can drop me to my knees and take my breath away and lasts only about 20 minutes to 1/2 hour at the most. No radiation of flank pain. Minor nausea, no vomiting. Stools are generally normal, with occasional discoloration (chalky yellow or taupe). Consistency can range from very hard and well-formed to soft and shapeless.

I've recently had an abdominal u/s and this is what they had to say:

An Ultrasound examination of the abdomen was performed. The liver spleen and pancreas are unremarkable. There is a 0.5 cm nonshadowing echogenic focus along the wall the fundus of the gallbladder that is nonmobile. This likely represents a gallbladder polyp. Statistically this represents a cholesterol polyp. An adenomatous polyp is less likely however followup is recommended to ensure stability. The common duct measured 0.46 cm. The gallbladder wall measured 0.2 cm. There is no ascites.

So, what do I do next?

During a recently colonoscopy, 2 polyps were found and removed, but turned out to be benign. Could this be related?

I've recently been dx'd with food intolerances via an elimination/rechallenge diet and have changed my diet accordingly. I'm intolerant to gluten, corn, dairy (casein), and refined sugar. I've also been dx'd with GERD, which has largely abated since modifying my diet. Due to the positive results of the elimination diet, my doctors have not seen any need to do further testing for Celiac. I eat a mostly whole-foods diet, consisting of veggies, white and brown rice, fruit, lean meats, nuts, and seeds, and drink close to a gallon of water daily.

Other dx'd include: mild diverticulosis, dysbiosis, subclinical hypothyroidism, multinodular goiter (FNA results of primary nodule indicate suspicious for follicular neoplasm), PCOS, adrenal fatigue, as well as iron, vit D, B5, B12 and folate deficiencies.

Current medications/supplements: 20mg Omeprazole (as needed), 100mg ferrous fumarate, 100mg Bcomplex, 3000mcg B12, 800mcg folate, 4000IU vit D3, 3200IU vit A, 1200mg calcium citrate, 400mg magnesium citrate, probiotics (for dysbiosis), and digestive enzymes.

Any input/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. :)
 SoylentGreenie - Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:12 am

Oh! Just thought of a few more questions...

What could be possibly causing the symptoms, if it's not the polyp and there aren't any stones?

Would a Hida scan be the next logical step?

If my dr doesn't want to run blood tests to check the liver/pancreas, should I ask for them? Are these usually checked when someone's having gallbladder problems?

Any idea why the kidneys weren't mentioned in the report, since they were part of the u/s?

Thanks again! :)

|