Question: My girlfriend is in serious pain!! Please help

JDubC3 - Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:23 am

My girlfriend has been sick for about 2 weeks now. On the 26th of Nov she drank 3/4 of a 5th of rum in about 55 minutes and vomitted all night. 5 days after that became really constipated and didn't go to the bathroom for 8 days. She went to the ER twice, once cause they thought she had appendicitis, another cause they thought her gull bladder or pancreas was tramatized. They did x-rays, pregnancy test, catscans, and blood work. They put her on stool softeners, suppositories, enemas..etc. She's finally going to the bathroom regularly, but for the past week she has had serious abdominal pain. All tests on her gull bladder, appendics, and pancreas are normal. Blood tests also.
She can barely get out of bed, severe pain in lower right abdomen (below rib cage), then even lower pain when going to the bathroom (around lower intestinal area). She can barely get off the toilet , hunches over and needs help walking. Sometimes when the pain gets really severe she has a hard time breathing. Worse if she lies on a flat surface without pillow under her head. Vicoden doesn't work, she's always tired, and her parents keep saying she probably just pulled a muscle, so they won't take her back to the Dr.
Her family Dr keeps going back to her drunken night and now put her on Prilosec??? What is Prilosec going to do for her?
She has also seen her Gynocologist and they thought maybe it was her Birth Control. She switched birth controls around 2 months ago, first month was fine, second month she had her period a week early, then had another one a week later. This month she had her period 2 weeks early. She told me last night that she doesn't feel normal, her parents are frusterated, and keep telling her to walk around it will get better on its own. Should I take her to see a G.I. specialist? I'm really worried about her.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:08 pm

User avatar Hi JDubC3,

I think your girlfriend needs to be re-evaluated by a doctor. She may need further imaging studies, such as a CT scan of the abdomen to better determine what is going on. Possibilities include colitis, ovarian cysts or other ovarian problems, an occult appendicitis, pyelonephritis (kidney infection) or even kidney stones. A pulled muscle is possible but from your description the pain is much more than I would expect from a muscle.

I would be concerned that something serious is going on and would advise her to be seen in the emergency room for her abdominal pain.

Best wishes. Keep us updated if you don't mind.
 JDubC3 - Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:27 am

As of 12/19/07....

She had a CT Scan, and I think a CTA scan the other day at the Emergency Room, they also withdrew blood from her. Every single test is coming back normal. They said they cant see her appendics, but all signs say that it's fine. They put her on some antibiotics just incase it was a kidney infection.
They told her that her D-Dimer? levels were really elevated (500 and lower is normal they said) and hers were at 3980. So they did a CT scan of her chest to make sure there were no blood clots. Once again, everything came back normal.
Last night 12/18 around 8:30 she started complaining of difficulty breathing, tightened chest, and pain in her left arm. She has been complaining of pain in her right arm (kind of in chest but by armpit), but last night she started balling because she said her left arm was killing her, and it was worse when she drank water...something to the effect of it felt she could feel water going into her arm as she drank.
She has an appointment tomorrrow 12/20 with a General Surgeon/Vascular Surgeon to see about going through her belly button with a scope to see what might be going on.
People keep asking her if she has an eating disorder, or if she's on drugs, and we keep swearing to everyone that she's not. I would mention that if it was at all a possibility. That's the news for now.
 JDubC3 - Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:27 am

As of 12/19/07....

|