News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: decoding biopsy results

lilonething - Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:47 am

Female, 31. No meds. Recent endoscopy and colonoscopy because of black tarry stools.
I got my biopsy results and I have been told that things are looking pretty good (yay) and they didn't see any particular reason for the episodes of black tarry stools that I had earlier in the year. There was inflammation but it didn't seem like a big deal.

I'm wondering if someone can tell me what the sentences in the pathology report mean, specifically, if you have time. I am glad there is no major problem and I am just always interested in knowing the details and feeling informed about my health. It helps me feel comfortable and involved in my health care if I know what is going on and what things mean. Looking at reports that seem like a foreign language doesn't do much for me though, lol! It's particularly the sentences in bold that I don't understand.

A (duodenum): the slides show duodenal mucosa and submucosa. There is a small focus in which neutrofils infiltrate the epithelium of some glands. There is no icrease in intraepithelial lymphocytes. The chronic inflamitory infiltrate in the lamina propria is within normal limits. Submucosal blood vessels show no wall thickening.

B (stomach): The slides show body-fundic and antral gastric mucosa. The architecture and epothelium are normal. Several loose lymphoid aggregates are seen. No helicobacter pylori organisms are identified with a Giemsa stain.

Thanks so much for your time!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:26 pm

User avatar Hi Lilonething,

Basically, the areas you have noted on the biopsy report indicate they are seeing some inflammatory type cells. Neutrophils and Lymphoid cells are white blood cells that help fight off infection.

It appears that you may have some very mild inflammation in a few areas of your intestines but it does not seem to be severe. There are a few possible causes of this type of inflammation ranging from a mild infection to some irritation from something eaten.

Follow up with your GI doctor is important to help be sure that everything is continuing to get better.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here