Question: stomach pain and weight gain

alias - Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:51 am

I am a 19 year old college student. recently I was exposed to mold and was having trouble breathing but a chest x-ray determined everything was fine. At around the same time I started having stomach pain. It is in the middle of my stomache around my betty button area. it got so bad it hurt to lay on my stomach.This was accompanied by greenish heavy stool and later to painful bowl movements. I knew when I had to go because, out of the blue, I would get this terrible pain and if I didn't go immediatley the bowl movement would be painful as well. I have been passing alot of gass recently as well but it has a funny smell to it. It smells bad but not like your typical gas. I'm not sure how to explain it.

I am on christmas break now and saw the doc again and he sent me to a GYN and i got an ultrasound and my ovaries are fine so he suggested to see a GI.

Also with all this going on my pants became increasingly tighter. At first I though maybe I was just bloated b/c that's how i was starting to feel with the pain. But I have been running 3 miles everyday and started drinking a slim fast when I wake up and having only dinner and a small snack after. I'm an athlete and now i keep gaining wight and it's driving me crazy b/c I am running like always and eating right and everyday i gain a little more and lose nothing and my pants just get tighter. please advise. thank you.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:59 pm

User avatar Hi Alias,

There are a few possibilities. First, it may be that you have a stomach virus causing your pain. Another possibility would be that this may be the presentation of an inflammatory bowel disease such as Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis.

Seeing a GI specialist is a good way to help narrow down the possibilities and find out what is causing your symptoms.

I would also add that pregnancy can cause these symptoms (though the diarrhea would be a little less common) so if this is possible I would recommend you investigate this.

Follow up with your doctor is important.

alias - Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:47 pm

No there is no possibility that I am pregnant( just eneed my period) and I have had the symptoms for about 2 months. I've gained about 15lbs and running, working out, and watching what I eat isn't helping. during the winter months i usually lose 10lbs just because school is out but not this year. I've gotten to the point where i'm not really eating anything except a small snack here and there and still I can't lose the weight I'm just not gaining it as quickly.

as for the bowl movements it's not diarrhea but it's not really normal either. it just depends. it's either big and a brownish green, or small and soft. either way it smells but not like your typical gas or anything, it is a strange smell.

I am trying to get into see a GI before I go back to school.... because if I don't get this problem solved i'm not going to have any clothes that fit...

|