News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Diverticulosis at a young age?

erashaw - Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:18 pm

I am a 28 y/o female, in August 2007 I had a endoscopy and colonoscopy done after a long bought of abdominal pain. I had previously had x-rays, ultrasounds, and a contrast CT-scan done by my primary. These revealed 8 kidney stones in my left kidney, but they were determined to be un-obstructive, and not part of my problem.

My primary referred me to a gastro doctor, who after examination started me on Cipro, and scheduled me for the endoscopy and colonoscopy. He suspected an infection. The cipro did help, and the pain subsided.

The results of the test showed I have diverticulosis, no polyps, and biopsies from my stomach were fine. My gastro DR doesn't have the best communication skills unfortunately.

He stated "well you are too young to have diverticuli, but you do" He scheduled me for a follow up in 6 months (February 2008), and gave me some printed instructions on diet.

My questions is what can cause diverticulosis in a person my age? Will this condition get worse as I get older?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:38 pm

User avatar Hi Erashaw,

While diverticulosis does more commonly affect older people it still does happen to younger patients as well. In some it will get worse, in others it does not.

The difficult part of diverticulosis is that the outpouchings of the intestines (diverticuli) are areas that can increase the risk of infection (diverticulitis).

Follow up with your GI doctor is important. Also, eating a healthy, high fiber diet can help prevent infections and in some cases help prevent worsening.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here