Question: Unexplained diarrhea for 3 months

mzbuttercup - Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:16 pm

I'm a 20 year old female with no past medical problems or surgeries. My mother has autosomal dominant cystic medullar (had a successful kidney transplant 17 years ago). I was tested via ultrasound for this a year and a half ago and found to be clear at the time. I am currently taking birth control but no other medications.

I normally have a somewhat touchy stomach (get loose stools after eating out sometimes, etc) but not anything worth seeking medical attention for. However, I have now had diarrhea for 3 months. My room mate has had the same symptoms for 2.5 months. We have had stool samples done twice each (all negative, even blood and occult), and blood tests showed that her white blood count was slightly high (10500) and mine is low 3000 (but this might be normal for us as she has many allergies and I tested low last year when I was tested for anemia). I have tested negative for celiac disease as well.

I have an appointment with a gastroenterologist mid-February, but would really like some tentative answers before then. I have had watery diarrhea with some mucous, no blood, and on and off bloating. I have had crampy pains in my mid-upper abdomen several times, and I've had sharp stabbing pains in my left kidney (front) three times as well, and it hurts to breathe when this happens (lasts a couple hours- I usually fall asleep because laying down is all I can do when it happens).

This past week I had an ultra sound on my stomach and the technologist spent 3/4 of the time on my kidneys (worrisome considering what I was there for). I also saw a bunch of black spots on the printed off x-rays.
I had a small bowel follow through the same day and it lasted only 20 minutes after I drank the Barium. They said I may have set a record. The x-ray showed a lot of Barium still in my stomach, and some clumps at the very end of my large intestine, but it looked like there was nothing in between (which may have been why the technologists didn't realize I was done at first).

My family doctor speculated that I may have Crohn's, but the pain isn't really all that often or bad (the kidney pain is much worse), and I have not lost any weight. It does hurt when you press on my small intestines though (my doctor said that's why she thought it was Crohn's).

I'm so sorry this is so long, but I'm so confused and I don't know how else to get answers. Thanks to anyone that has any help or suggestions!
 mzbuttercup - Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:13 pm

Update:
Small bowel follow through, ultrasound, and later upper GI series all came back normal. Guess I'll have to wait until I see the specialist. I am taking Immodium regularly now and it's helping this time (it wasn't in October). All is ruled out except problems in the large intestine. A colonoscopy is the next step I think.

|