News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Constant Burping

Jaime - Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:20 am

Hi,

I am a 17 year old male, I am on no medication. For a while now (over 6 months), I've noticed that I have been burping constantly. I don't really know how or why, but I have noticed that my burping is accompanied by a seemingly perpetual feeling of tenseness in my neck. Oftentimes, massaging or cracking my neck will promtp me to belch. Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be going on? Thanks in advance.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:45 am

User avatar Hi Jamie,

Your condition is almost always a result of abnormal swallowing. Each time one swallows 5 ml of air is ingested. These tend to accumulate until they result in belching. Excessive swallowing or abnormal intake of air during swallowing due to physical problem such as nasal blockage or ill-fitting dentures will also cause this situation.

Some people notice this after meals (gastric distention results in transient lower esophageal relaxation). It may also be due a behavioral problem such as rapid eating, excessive chewing gum, smoking, ingestion of carbonated beverages. If you are doing any of these, it would be a good idea to eliminate them and see if it improves your condition.

A more extreme form of this condition is psychiatric and is known as aerophagia. This can cause distention, flatulence and pain. Aerophagia can occur due to anxiety, neurosis or in institutionalized patients.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here