News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: impacted stool and constipation

josh_a_lim - Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:24 am

im a 22 yr old male and im constipated for 3days, i do drink psyllium sometimes to increase my fiber in my body and i drink alot of water also ideally my constipation problem before was already ok; but my problem started this holiday season coz of the christmas spirit people do get to eat alot and drink alot and i always drink softdrinks recently and eventually i eat alot yet i do forget bout my urge to defecate, the thing right now is im having an impacted stool problem which really irritates me alot and im from the philippines which has no specific stool softener brands available that adds to my problem they can only offer me laxatives like lactulose, bisacodyl, castor etc... in ur opinion what could i take to soften my stool or even a remedy to help me out pls and thanks. GOD bless
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:40 pm

User avatar Hello,
Stool softeners have actually been shown to have limited effectiveness in this type of problem. You would be better off to add more fiber to your diet in natural sources such as fruits and vegetables, beans, whole grains. For some this reflects a huge alteration in their normal diet. Of course the water is important so keep drinking plenty of it. Avoid starches and meats.

You made a good point that forgetting to defecate is a major contributor to constipation. Get into a bowel training program where you give yourself plenty of "throne-time" with reading materials, etc. You want your body to get the message this is important enough to take time out. The mind won't have to withhold the need because you are too busy, etc. If you do this around the same time every day, even when you don't feel the urge, you may make some progress over time.

You may need additional help with the stool impaction. You can use milk of magnesia, other laxatives such as you mentioned, glycerine suppositories or mineral oil added to an enema. After using these you may need to manually remove the stool with your gloved finger. Lubricate the glove with mineral oil. Any prodding should be done carefully and this can be difficult to do yourself but the idea is to break up the hardened, large stool into smaller pieces that can be eliminated. Medical assistance is recommended for this procedure. Damage can be done to the lining of the rectum in the process of eliminating large stool or digitally probing. If a fever develops, seek medical attention.

Good luck.
 josh_a_lim - Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:20 am

Thanks alot to the additional info you gave me it would be of great help, but i think the problem right now is that im having already an urge to defecate because im properly hydrated and i already started a high fiber diet but the new problem is that im having a hard time passing my stool because after i used a bisacodyl suppository and evacuated my stool already, the little pain problem started already but theres no blood that i see so i hope and i don't think its lacerated, thanks alot hope youll not be annoyed because i have lots of questions. thanks alot and GOD bless u!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here