Question: abdominal pain/colon cancer?

thomas365 - Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:43 pm

hi..i'm a 29 year old male. for many years..i've had an " irratable bowel" sometimes stool is fine..sometimes not. 5 or 6 years ago..i had one episode of blood in stool. i went to e.r. ..nothing. never happened again. last year..had testicular aching..burned once..went totally away. this september..after a wedding..bad case of diahareah..doctor said not to worry.a day later..everything was good. october..testicular pain back..burned once..hematuria found in urine test. urologist gave cipro for 10 days. no change.started getting abdominal cramps.( left and right..in front and back) not painfull..more like annoying.would come and go out of nowhere.some days..absolutely nothing...frequent urination..infrequent..mild headaches. abdominal and pelvic ultrsound..abdominal series xray..urine cytology..all negative.gastrointerologist took stool sample for ecoli cdifficile..digital rectal exam..negative.since then..testes pain..almost gone..a bit of a headache now and then..and still have ocassional cramp in back. left side.sometimes when i take deep breaths.it kind of tightens up..after bowel movement as well..sometimes.
x-mas dinner..had diahreah once. i ate 3 big pieces of chocolate cake that was in the freezer for weeks.in the moring..stool was formed..but a bit dark. i went to e.r. and doc took cbc blood test..and stool test for blood...and urine test. all negative.i told her i thought it could be prostatitis.she said prostate felt fine( also psa level fine) i told her i was scared i could have colon or rectal cancer. over the years..i did have " narrow stools" and for the past year..i've had alot of gas( burping) even if i drink some water..a small burp! i have no tenderness in my abdomen..but am scared the cramp is a tumor.doc said she doesn't beleive its any form of rectal..colon..or testes cancer.said to see urologist.my family history- fathers side heart disease. mothers side..father would have bloody stool sometimes.( mom doesn't think it was cancer) cancer)..died at 76. i smoked for 13 years( i quit) and drank alcohol. heavy meat diet. usually twice a day.
my question is this..i looked at symptoms of colon cancer..and i fit the bill exactly.( in my mind ) since october..when i found out about the hematuria..i have been under ALOT of stress. constantly on internet..searching symptoms.( now i have sore buttocks cheeks when i sit down) in the begining..i thought hiv ( negative results ) and a bunch of stuff. i've had difficulty sleeping for a month or so. the anxiety is driving me nuts. could it be a urological problem..and the cramps are coming from anxiety from ibs.sometimes i have shortness of breath. could this all be in my head.all doctors so far" don't think" its cancer.my parents are telling me to relax..but its hard.
the thin stools for years( not always..ocassinally) what could it be if not a tumor blocking intestines. gas..bloating for months..cramp in my back..i'm scared this is not some small uti..but colon cancer.all these years of " ibs" has turned into cancer.plaese..does this sound like colon cancer? i scheduled a colonoscopy for next month. i'm terrified.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:22 pm

User avatar Hi thomas365,
With the wealth of information that's available everywhere including the internet, sometimes even some of the most common symptoms can be misinterpreted as other conditions or diseases. Anxiety can produce a wide array of symptoms. The simple thing to do is calm down. Don't automatically assume something is wrong before you actually hear something is wrong. The best thing you can do aside from a physical exam by your physician is have the diagnostic study to rule out any disorders. Take a deep breath, calm down, and don't assume anything. Best wishes.

|