News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Liver Diseases

Question: Hepatitis and Spleen Problem

Tauseef - Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:36 am

Hi
I am a 19 years guy having pain in upper left side which sometimes reaches shoulder. The pain occurs occassionaly but does not last for long. 1.5 year ago I contacted Paratyphoid and Three months ago I had contacted Hepatitis E. I made full recovery from Hepatitis one month ago. Two weeks ao I had fever around 99-101 for 4 days. My Doctor gave me blood tests and Ultrasongram of Abdomen. Blood tests show Billurubin is 0.88, SGPT is 28, SGOT 26. Ultrasonogram Report show Liver, GallBladder, Pancreas In normal condition and size but an enlarged Spleen with uniform echopattern. My Doctor told that enlarged spllen will not be a problem and it will shrink to normal size automatically but he did not mention the the reason for enlargement. My question is now do I have to take special treatment and care for spleen and limit my physical movements. In Couple of weeks I have to go abroad for higher studies. Will travelling be safe for me. Please advise. Thank you.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:24 pm

User avatar Hi Tauseef,

The spleen can be thought of as similar to a lymph node. It can increase in size during acute infections similar to the lymph node enlargement that can occur in the neck. This is very unlikely to cause any problems. The risk of spleen damage is minimal unless the spleen is very large, which I'm sure your doctor would have told you.

Your doctor is correct that the spleen will return to normal size over time. It should be safe to travel, assuming this is what is going on.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here