Question: Excratory Bleeding

IndyEve22 - Sun Mar 16, 2003 8:31 pm

Here is my situation. I am 24, with a history of cancer in my family, including colon cancer. In the last 18-24 months I have begun to bleed during and sometimes after excretion. At first I chalked it up to having children, and the struggles of childbirth, but lately it has gotten worse. I happened to be browsing for information and came across a similar topic on this site, I was hoping maybe someone could give me a general direction to go on. I have never had this symptom before the previous mentioned time frame, however some other symptoms I have are permanent diarhea, excessive tiredness, easily irritable bowels, painful gas pressure (to the point of immobility), but no itching, scabbing, or other hemmoroidal tendencies. I am finding this extremely puzzing as some of my doctors have, but there has never been follow up tests, or anything to further investigate the problem.

Please help me! :?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon Mar 17, 2003 4:02 pm

User avatar Dear IndyEve,

Blood is always an alarming symptoms.

Having blood in the stools for such a long time could be related to a chronic problem. If the blood is bright redon the surface of the stools or it is noticed after the bowel movement, this usually points to a local cause such as hemorrhoids. Hemorrhoids can be internal so that you can not see them.

Having chronic bleeding with chronic diarrhea should attract our attention to the fact that you might have a colon inflammation that has been going on for a long time. i think you should be evaluated by a specialist (a gastroenterologist) as this has been going on for a long time.

Regarding your family history of cancer colon, after this current problem has been looked at, i think it would very reasonable for you to be following with either a primary care physian or a gastroeneterologist to make sure that you are having your screening tests at the recommended intervals.

|