News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Mysterious Lower abdominal pain just bellow belly button

vankay - Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:01 pm

Hi,

I am new to this forum but have a major problem.

I am a 41 year old male in otherwise good condition. In 1999 I was diagnosed with severe abdominal pains. This pain would develop like clock work. I would get these severe cramps usually in the a.m. and they would steadaly get worse throughout the day. I can't function and I am bed ridden for a day and a half. After it subsides I am better for a month or so and it would attack again. My attack symptoms are this:

-Lower abdominal pain, just bellow belly button---severe
-Fever (sometimes, not always, never exceeds 101F
- Sometime I would break a sweat and feel better
-Next day one bout of diaharea (most of the times)
- After a full day with severe pain I am back to normal BUT my entire abdominal cavity is tender.

I have had a colonoscopy,endoscopy,cystoscopy, CT scan with and without dye, ultrasound, urinalysis, stool analysis, complete blood work.

I later became frustrated and asked my Gastroenterologist for copies of my reports. I did not get as far as 1999, when they did a colonoscopy and noted a "single large diverticulum in the sigmoid colon". My Question to you is: What do you think I have? Besides, I really never was told of this notation and was wondering if this can cause my somewhat grief and suffering? Although I do not have the traditional pain in my left flank. It starts from the belly button and spreads out.

Thanking you in advance! Sorry for the length!

van,michigan :cry:
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:47 pm

User avatar Hello,

Diverticulitis usually manifests with left lower quadrant pain. The pain is of gradual onset, steady or crampy in nature. There is usually a history of previous attacks. Mild diarrhea and fever are common. Mass and tenderness may be felt in left lower quadrant. A CT scan shows inflammatory mass.

Your symptoms are very atypical so it would be hard to judge based on your complaints alone. Have you discussed the CT finding with your doctor?

You say you have been having these pains since 1991?

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here