News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: bowel probs

Kirsty_Oz - Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:48 am

hi...

for a while (maybe 10+ weeks) i have had the following symptoms
- excessive flatulance
- gassy bubling sounds from lower gut (very very different feeling and sound to hunger pains)
- diaherroa- it both just 'falls out' or is quite explosive ( i have been constipated once at all this year, it was quite a while ago and i occasionally produce full stools)

occasionally these symptoms subside, but when they are present it is difficult to manage. sometimes i canhold the flatulance in til i move somewhere appropriate, but occasionally (like this morning) i couldnt help it and it just came out.

today i had these symptoms, ill explain my diet for the day

7.30am bowl of bran with bananas topped with milk

9 pineapple juice

about 10 i started to feel gassy and had to pass faeces

in ninety minutes i had to pass faeces (which was gasy and was diaherra)

at 1130 i had to leave class because i have the urge to pass wind so i left and lied about leaving early

i again went to the toilet

at about 1230 i had two handrolls (seaweed rice, avocado, carrot, egg) and three small dim sims and a cordial like drink

7 for dinner i had chicken with pesto cheese herbs and tomato paste with a side of greek salad. a glass of giner ale

9pm (now) a few pieces of chocolate.

is it dietry? i thought i had a 'bug' but it has been happening for a while.

anyhelp would be appreciated
 Dr. Russell M - Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:10 pm

User avatar Hi!

You may try changing your diet to learn what kind of foods cause your problems and avoid them by trial and error. Alcohol, smoking, junk food, and acidic fruits are best avoided. Try to have food on time and avoid large meals, overeating, skipping meals, or postponing. Have your food in a calm and relaxed atmosphere with thorough chewing and slow swallowing. Identify your stressors and manage stress by exercise or music. Balance rest and activity. Too much sleep need also to be avoided.

If all attempts fail, one may need to try antacids, but under a doctor's discretion.

Hope this helps.

bill
 Kirsty_Oz - Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:55 pm

yeah, i intend to try a few things... like having food with lactose in it and seeing if that triggers my symptoms.

thanks

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here