Question: Preparing for Hida Scan

mesa2004 - Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:12 pm

My 20 year old daughter is scheduled for a Hida Scan which we pushed for after my mother recently had one done and found that her gall bladder was not functioning, and in the process we discovered a lot of family history of gall bladder problems. This after YEARS of trying to figure out what was causing her pain and nausea. She has had an endoscopy, ultrasounds, Xrays etc...They never suggested gall bladder trouble because of her age.
Anyway...when my mother had her scan, they had her eat a fatty breakfast the morning of her scan (less than 2 hrs before) but my daughter was told to eat a fatty dinner and a snack later but nothing after midnight and her scan is at 7:00 a.m.
Why the difference and which is more effective??
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:54 pm

User avatar Hi Mesa2004,

There are several different methods of evaluating the gallbladder during a HIDA scan. I suspect that the idea behind the method your daughter is having is to eat nothing after midnight to be sure that there is no stimulus for bile excretion occurring at the time of the initial study. A lightly radioactive dye will be injected by an IV that subsequently is cleared from the blood by the liver. It gets attached to the bile and a camera can take pictures to determine where the bile is going. With no stimulus to excrete it should go into the gallbladder. If there are stones blocking the bile duct, the gallbladder will not appear properly on the scan because the tracer cannot get into it. If it fills normally, a medication may be given to induce gallbladder contraction and evaluate the amount of the bile that can be expressed.

This method can be very good at evaluating gallbladder contractility for any problems that may be going on.

|