Forum Name: Liver Diseases

Question: Best way to lower GGT

md1973 - Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:03 am

Good Morning,
I recently had blood work done due to having extreme cases of constipation and also presence of ammonia in my stool.
Luckily, my lab results came back pretty darn good, however my GGT was elevated to 105.

I take a relatively large amount of analgesics due to back pain as well as an antidepressant. I do drink from time to time which is not necessarily good considering I had gastric bypass surgery 3 years ago. I also had my gallbladder removed at that time as well. My liver was also looked at and it was enlarged and fatty (typical of being obese).

ALT is 16
AST is 19
Both are within normal range.

So, my question is, other than cutting out the alcohol (which I am now going to do), are there other ways to get my GGT back down to a normal range? Also, what is the best way to get my liver back into shape and functioning perfectly?

I am sluggish all the time and feel generally "blah" and want to get my health back on track.

Thank you for your assistance!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:47 pm

User avatar Hello Md1973,

GGT is an enzyme that is produced by the biliary tree. This includes the bile ducts of the liver, external biliary ducts and gallbladder. Often, it will become elevated when there is a blockage of the biliary tree, most commonly due to gallstones.

In your case, it may be related to some sludging of bile within the liver. With the enlarged fatty liver, treating and improving this will likely bring the GGT level down.

If it remains elevated you may want to see a GI specialist for further evaluation.

|