News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Gallbladder dyskinesia PLUS +H Pylori..now what?

farmer1 - Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:39 pm

I am a 44 year old woman. On November 17, 07 I had an attack in my chest, sharp pain to the sternum through my back, terrible muscle pain in my right shoulder blade. I have since then had a HORRIBLE heartburn in the same area that doesn't go away. Initially I thought it had to be a gallbladder attack. My Dr tested for Pancreas with CT wich was negative. Then had the endoscope, and biopsy was + for H Pylori. I also had the Hyda scan and it showed " after CCK administration, gallbladder ejection fraction was calculated at 8.7%" Impression " consistent with gallbladder dyskinesia.

Today after speaking with my dr, they put me on Prevpac,Lansoprazole Amoxicillin Clarithromycin to treat the Hpylori. They also said they would not address the issue of the gallbladder until the 2 weeks of RX was over. (my dr. said that this ejection fraction rate was not concerning as people may have these #s and not even know it and the Hpylori was the probable cause for my pain)

Other nurses and Dr I have spoken with felt the gallbladder issue is significant and should be addressed asap.

Please advise me as if I need to advocate furthur to see someone about the gallbladder sooner than 2 weeks? Please advise me, is there ANY correlation between me haveing both of these promblems at the same time?

I have NEVER had a history of any GI problems in the past.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:23 pm

User avatar Hi Farmer1,

Gallbladder pain is very characteristic. It is typically a sharp pain in the right upper quadrant of the abdomen and sometimes includes the area above the belly button (over the stomach). It may radiate to the shoulders. The classic thing is that the pain is induced by eating.

It sounds like your pain is constant. This is much more characteristic of H. Pylori and gastritis it can cause. Your ejection fraction is low and it is possible that you do have gallbladder problems in addition to the H. Pylori. However, it is reasonable to treat the H. Pylori first. If your pain worsens or begins to be much worse with eating that is more consistent with gallbladder problems, it is time to follow up with your doctor.

Treatment of H. Pylori is by taking medicines. Treatment of gallbladder problems is often surgical so you may be able to avoid surgery if you get better with the medical treatment.

Best wishes.
 farmer1 - Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:02 pm

Hello Dr. Lowe,

Updates and new questions. I had 2sugruries on 1-30-08, meniscus rempair in my knee and gallbladder removal. After my first 3 meals I was sosos HAPPY, as I had no stomoach sypmptoms...nothing. I felt norma. Then on Friday eventing ALL my old sympttoms have returned exactly as they did before. Esophogus spasm from stermun to bottom of throat. No diarea, no naseau, no bile in mouth...jsut ongoig gagging feeling in my throught and UPPEr GI region. I completed the treatment for H pylori and the symptoms never went away...I then met with the gallbladder sugeon who saw that we had done all the right testing so thought wise to proceed with sugury. I am so discurraged and fear I did the gall bladder for nothing. (even though the ejection fraction was 8%).
I must call my primary tomorrow, but feel like where will we start now? I have not seen a GI person, if I did what routes may they take?

Thanks for helping me trouble shoot this.
Maureen

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here