Question: nissen reversal

steven85 - Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:52 am

My surgeon in the uk has agreed to completely take down my nissen fundoplication and leave it down as it has since been established that a hiatus hernia and reflux wasn't my primary symptom and that the operation has aggravated my symptoms. He says he can put me back to where I was before the surgery, but my main concern which I have not yet asked him is what will happen to my original les valve? It measured 7.0 on the manometry test prior to the surgery and this was strong enough for me to lie down after eating and bend over etc without any problems. Will it still be 7.0 after the wrap is unstitched? Thank you for your time.

Steven
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:47 pm

User avatar Hello Steven85,

I can't answer your question for certain but I think that the reversal should be pretty straight forward. I've very familiar with the nissen process but few people have them reversed. Sometimes they come undone on their own and symptoms return but generally the symptoms were present before the nissen.

If you did not have symptoms that were needing to be treated by the nissen then odds are good that when the nissen is reversed your LES will still be just as strong as it was before.

|