News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: eligibility for lap band surgery

jennifer1b - Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:49 am

I am 64 yr old female, maybe 80 or so lbs overweight, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I take diovan, crestor and prevacid. My last tsh was high and I have Barrett's esophagus. Also just discontinued crestor for a few months because of muscle cramps. Cholesterol level is up but cramps continue.
Question: am I eligible for lap band surgery? Should I ask my doctor for thyroid treatment? Diets used to work but don't anymore. Am also concerned about gerd and a smaller stomach pouch. Would that make it worse or would being slimmer make it better? I have to decide about this before I turn 65 in 9 months.
Should I ask my primary doctor, my gastroenterologist or the lap band surgeon?
I would appreciate information to help me make an informed decision.
Thank you so much.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:10 pm

User avatar Hello,
Congratulations on your decision to take charge of your health this way. Lap band surgery is an excellent option and I think you would qualify. However, insurance reimbursement varies greatly and I can't say what hoops yours might require you jump through. BMI is a factor along with other health issues, such as you are experiencing. Losing the weight will most likely help in many ways. It has even been shown to cure type 2 diabetes and in your case will likely prevent it along with other health problems, including orthopedic, heart, high blood pressure, etc.

I would immediately schedule an appointment with a lap band surgeon - hopefully one who has lots of experience. This will avoid unnecessary delays as their office will know the criteria and can immediately begin the process for any authorization that might be needed. I could suggest a book to read, The Success Habits of Weight Loss Surgery by Colleen Cook. This is a must-read for anyone considering weight loss surgery because this surgery is not a free ticket. You need to be aware of the long-term changes that will be required. However, after the surgery, you will find it much easier to follow the guidelines than prior to surgery.

Good luck. Let us know if you have other questions.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here