Question: Gliadin blood test

blazer - Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:27 pm

Hi everyone,

Approximately 2 Months ago I had some sort of severe stomach virus where my stool was literally liquid. I had this for approximate a week. Unfortunately after having this I have been suffering from mild diarrhea & a sore upper stomach ever since. Also, an itchy sensation is experienced aroudn the anus area after going to the the toilet on alot of occasions. I have recently been to the doctor & got a long list of blood test & stool samples conducted.
Everything came back good. Normal for iron, normal for B12, except for one result. My IgG was 84 where normal is supposed to be <34. However my other tests for celiac came back good. IgA test came back <20 (reference of <34 being good) & my Endomysial Antibodies came back at <7 (Reference <7 as good).
Also, all my stool tests came back fine for any infections etc. I don't remember the exact tests done on my stool, but I do know that it consisted of a large array of things, including looking for infections. I gave 2 stool samples in small containers, one with some sort of preservative in the the container.
I am now scheduled to see a specialist who specializes in dealing with gastrointestinal disorders. Can anybody offer any feedback as to whether the the test results are common for Celiacs & any ideas of what else it could be.
I am quite worried about my results & I know I will have to wait at least another 2 weeks for a Biopsy to be done on my small intestine.
 melaniej - Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:28 pm

Hi Blazer,

I can give a little insight..I have been sick for over a year and have had every test under the sun done and something came back on each one..Inflammation from my head to my a..

I have seven diagnosis now as we speak, but I would like to talk to you about celiac disease....I tested positive in TTg, the normal is 30 and mine was 50..All the rest came back negative and they did a biopsy and it showed, "Mild villous atrophy consistent with sprue" so after 15 months of being sick I had my dx..

Well don't get to excited I sent my biopsy to the Mayo Clinic and now they arent sure I have the disease..I did just also do the gene test which came back positive for DQ-2 which predisposes you to the disease, but it doesnt mean you will get the disease..

Basically if I was you and you are getting a biopsy try to eat bread and pasta everday, get as much gluten in you as you can to get a "firm" diagnos is..

i wouldnt wish this further testing I have on my worst enemy and now I am back to square one although many DR.s would already say I have the disease just do the diet, but seeing as it is a lifetime committment I want a "specialist that sees this disaese daily" to look at me,, Now I am on a guten challenge and am scared to eat gluten, but if its my last chance too I better enjoy it, right?

Basically get the tests you need and make sure you have the disease before you attempt the Gluten free..

Good luck to you...

|