News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Liver Diseases

Question: Iron serum 199 is liver disease

snguyen2007 - Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:09 pm

My name is Steven Nguyen, 45 year old, weight 114, height 5.5; I just have a blood test.

CBC : normal; Comp meta panel : normal except for glucose 112; uric acid, normal; tsh: normal; Lipid panel cho, 210, tri 140, hdl 70, ldl112; iron serum 199, phpsphorus 2.70; homocysteine, ser 6; hempoglobin 4.2, c-rective protein 0.4.

Before the test i took a multivitamin with iRON about 18mg (centrum multivitamin from A to Z.

Please give me advice.
Thank you for advice
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:56 am

User avatar Hello,

Normal level of iron is in the range of 60-170 mcg/dl.
Although the level of iron in your blood is mildly elevated, it is not alarming especially if all other parameters are within normal. However, It is not clear for me the rest of your blood results like the complete blood picture and the serum ferritin. It would be also of help if the results of the precedential blood tests are available.

Blood samples for iron level tets should be taken while you are fasting and no iron supplements should be taken 24 hours before the test otherwise your iron levels may be falsely high.

Your lipid profile is (at most of a borderline high risk) also not striking if you have no other risks for cardiovascular diseases and you modify your dietary habits and your life style. A level of LDL less than 100 mg/dL is desirable if you have heart disease or diabetes and of less than 130 mg/dL if you have 2 or more risk factors.
Modifying your life style (exercise) and diets (low in saturated fat) are very effective measures. Drug therapy would be a next step if these measures fail.

Regarding the Fasting blood sugar result, a level of 100 to 125 mg/dL (5.6 to 6.9mmol/L) indicates impaired fasting glucose (prediabetes). In this case your doctor may recommend repeating the fasting blood sugar test few days to a week later.

I would advise you to follow up with up your doctor these results can be interpreted and managed properly only in the context of your medical history and in reference to the normal lab range.

Please keep us updated.
Best regards.
 snguyen2007 - Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:21 pm

Thank you for your advice.

I contact my doctor. I did take vitamins with iron on it for few month.
did perform Glucose test for prediabet it is negative.

I change my eating for chroletorol.

Steven Nguyen

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here