Question: Burning stomach - history of infectious colitis

lashesluv - Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:31 pm

I am a 38 years old woman with a history of IBS and was hospitalized for three days last year for fever, rectal bleeding from colon, fainting and vomiting. They said I had "infectious colitis" and gave me some steroids and anti-boitics to take for a week. For the past month I have been having severe burning in my upper middle stomach just at the rib cage and my belly gets really bloated. I was prescribed Zantac 150 twice a day and have also had to resort to other antacids. I have an abdominal ultrasound booked for the end of the month. The problem is that NONE of it is working and it is keeping me up at night.

Like my people, I do not have a family doctor so I am not sure if I should just wait until the results of the ultrasound or whether I should go to the hospital. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks :)
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:50 pm

While I am perplexed that your "infectious colitis" was treated with steroids and antibiotics simultaneously (known as the "shotgun" approach), I don't think that episode is likely related to your current problem, which sounds like gastritis with possible stomach ulcer. Based on the date of your post I'm sure you've long since had your ultrasound, and perhaps it was even followed up with an edoscopy.

I'm sorry your question wasn't answered in a timely manner, and I hope you were able to get to the bottom of what was causing the problem and are feeling much better by now. Please do follow up with us here and let us know how things went.

|