Question: stomach pain

docc - Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:22 pm

Hello everybody i am writing this because for the last 2 days i have had a real bad pain in my upper left side of my stomach i would like to know what it might and if i should go to the hospital. thank you for your time.
 Dr. Russell M - Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:00 pm

User avatar Hi!

Have you never had this kind of a pain before? Why are you on nexium? Do you drink alcohol? How much is your pain? How often a day have you had it in the past 2 days? Or has it been continuous? Are there things that increase or decrease your pain?

bill
 docc - Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:49 pm

no, I have not had the pain on my left side before although I've had a real bad pain on my right side right by my rib cage. I'm taking nexium for acid reflux and I used to drink alot but know I have decided to quit and have not drank for about a month or 2. I would rate my pain at about a 6 and the pain is continuosly off and on for about 2 days. If you have any ideas about the pain on my right side please let me know. I went to see a stomach specialist monday the 13th to see if I needed to be treated for Hepatitis C. The doctor did blood work and set me up for an endoscope on October 20th. The only thing that I know about my blood work is that my liver enzymes are elevated. Do you have any idea if I will be treated for my Hepatitis and if so how will I be treated.the pain on my right side has been going on for 2 or 3 months im sick to my stomach alot and have been throwing up 3 to 4 times a week(2-3 times a day if you have any ideas please respond docc
 Dr. Russell M - Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:46 am

User avatar Hi!

With your liver enzymes elevated and a history of alcoholism, alcohilic hepatitis is probably a cause for your right sided abdominal pain. A blood test would help find out if you are infected with hepatitis C, which your doctor would have ruled out. Did you ask your doctor if hepatitis C was tested for?

The pain on your left side of the abdomen needs further evaluation before nailing the cause. Hepatitis C is treated using antiviral medications.

bill

|