Question: Cold sensation down left arm

mpompey - Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:23 am

Sometimes if I drink something cold on an empty stomach, I get a cold sensation down my left arm. Its been happening for some time. I've asked my doctor if she thought that was a sign of heart disease and she said no and it sounds like it is stomach related. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this?

I do have acid reflux and she has prescribed Pepcid for it. But as long as I exercise and eat right, it doesn't seem to bother me.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:31 pm

What you describe is a not-uncommon variation on "brain freeze" or momentary chest or throat pain from drinking something cold. Some people are more prone to this than others, depending, apparently, on how close to the surface certain of the cranial nerves lie in the pharynx. It seems to happen more readily when the stomach is not full, probably because the vagus nerve (the usual culprit) is already more stimulated.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck to you.

|