News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: hard shells white clumps, mucus, red stuff in stool

rachaelsick - Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:31 am

I have been having really strange symptoms related to my stools/digestive track.
About ten years ago I was diagnosed with IBS, but no tests where ever done and I'm beginning to think they where wrong. Recently things seem to be getting worse. I work in a cubical and at times by stomach or intestines gurgle so loud that I go home out of embarrassment. I have had irregular smelly bowl movements with normal consistency but I've noticed red things in them that look a bit like boiled pieces of carrots (which I don't eat), mucus, and white balls of something. Most embarrassing my bum hole has been hurting (feels like cuts) and I've noticed it looks as though it develops a rash (this has been going on now for over a year). I have also recently become really dizzy at times but a recent blood test revealed nothing and a urine test only showed a urinary track infection. I am underweight and always have been but my belly seems larger than it should for a person my size.

I recently went in and asked the doctor and he sent me home with some cups for a stool sample which i have since returned but it has been two weeks now and I have not yet heard back. I guess, what bothered me the most is the red things and the white balls which is why I am sharing this. While preparing the stool sample i noticed that i had numerous balls (actually they looked more like a large unshelled peanuts). One of the stools was primarily made up of these. The outside was hard and coloured like the rest of the stool but when i cracked/tore it open i noticed it was filled with a hard white chalk type substance. I've noticed the white balls before but was horrified to see that I was passing so many of them (disguised by the stool coloured shell). I think the doctor may have lost the last sample which is why it is taking so long for an answer. I am scared, what is this? I have thought of maybe worms but have never seen anything move in the stool and the white things had the consistency of chalk.

Thank You,
Stool Lady
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:11 pm

User avatar Hello -

What you describe is certainly unusual, but the chalk-like substance, in particular, may be what certain types of food look like when improperly digested and absorbed. This may be gluten or even fat in a refined and unabsorbed form. What I'm thinking is that you may have been suffering from celiac disease, since most of your symptoms are suggestive of this. Usually stools contain fatty material and mucous, but there will be variations according to diet. This disease can be diagnosed via a simple blood test and if positive, the disease can be managed very simply by limiting gluten in the diet (and it doesn't just occur in wheat, but in a number of foods). If this were to turn out to be the problem you could be feeling far more normal in weeks. It's certainly worth a shot, if it hasn't already been ruled out. I suspect not, as it is often overlooked in favor of the simpler IBS.

I hope this is helpful and please do follow up with us here.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here