Question: Blood after bowel movement and sore anus.

Wrriedandsore - Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:37 am

I couldn't find a similar thread using the search function so forgive me if this is a repeat. I have been periodically bleeding from the anus after using the toilet for about 2 months. Bright red blood in small amounts. The area just outside and inside the anus is often sore. I am gay and have had periodic, unprotected anal with one, std-free person for a prolonged period. We hadn't engaged in anal sex for several weeks leading up to the first case of bleeding. I am planning to see a GP next week but am looking for some idea of what to expect and hopefully some peace of mind!

Thank you in advance for any information.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:56 pm

User avatar Hello Wrriedandsore,

There are a few possibilities. First, you may have an anal fissure. This is basically a break in the skin that can cause bleeding and pain. This is probably the most common cause of seeing small amounts of bright red blood in the stool.

It may also be that you have a hemorrhoid (a dilated blood vessel around the rectum). These can be external and visible or internal, which may not be visible without specifically examining for them.

When you see your doctor, your doctor will likely be able to figure this out quite easily with a full examination.

Vicky012 - Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:35 pm

I am also experiencing blood during a bowel movement, as well as moderate stomach pains (near the top of my abdomen, just under my breasts, in the center). I have went to a doctor a month ago, and he advised me that it was an internal hemeroid, and gave me ointment to use. It is now a month after, I have used up all of the ointment he gave me and it is still occuring. I am also waiting on the results from an ultrasound.

Once I ran out of the medicine he prescribed, I bought some over-the-counter hemeroid ointment to tie me over until I have time to see him again and ask him for a refill. However, recently I have noticed small, sensitive bumps all around my anus that are pretty painful, especially when I have a bowel movement. I have tried to look at them, and as far as I can tell, they aren't red or anything. What could this be? Am I reacting to the new medicine? Or have I got external hemeroids now as well?

Thank you so much for your help!!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:42 pm

User avatar Often the treatment for hemorrhoids is aimed at relief of symptoms; not cure. So, you may get as much help from the alternative meds anyway but not knowing what your doctor prescribed for you it's hard to say.

It sounds like you do have external hemorrhoids. Most commonly these are the result of straining with bowel movements due to constipation, especially over time. You would be wise to make some lifestyle changes to improve this problem because prevention is much better than the cure.

Here are some suggestions:

Take a daily fiber supplement such as Metamucil, Citracel or Konsyl.
Drink lots of water.
Exercise (at least walk) daily.
Choose foods with fiber such as whole grains and avoid fluffy white breads and carbohydrates.
Increase your fruits and vegetables to at least 5 servings daily. These are most beneficial in their natural form, with skins, etc.
Give yourself plenty of "throne time" to avoid the "I'm too busy for the toilet syndrome" - Take reading material and do this daily until your body gets the message that you DO have time for this function. Subconscious withholding does happen to busy people.

In time, these health habits will pay great dividends, especially in your lower colon and anal region.

vardha - Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:50 am

i am also having blood in my stool from the last 5 days,,from third day i had sex with my bf on my 21st day.my menstrual cycle is of 33 days.he ejaculated outside..there is no pain.firstly there were only pinkish drops of blood on my tissue paper,but now it is red in colour and many drops of blood are there..is there any chance of pregnancy or this is some other problem?should i go for a pregnancy test?or should i visit a family doctor?

|