Question: Never feel like bowel movement complete

suzygirl - Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:08 pm

I used to have very regular bowel movements, every morning like clockwork, possibly throughout the day as well. However for months now, I am not regular at all. I often feel an urgent need to go but end up just passing lots (I mean LOTS) of gas. If I do produce something, it's only very small, and I never feel like I'm finished. I sometimes get very bloated. Also at times I have this extreme feeling of flatulence but I don't expel, it feels like it backs up into my colon or whatever and makes lots of noise. It's very embarrassing. This usually happens at work during the day. I eat lots of fiber, work out 5-7 times a week, always first thing in the morning, and drink 8-12 glasses of water a day. I have no pain whatsoever and am on no medications. I usually eat a high-fiber snack bar in the morning and a high-fiber wrap for lunch. I would say that most of my water and fiber intake occur in the first half of the day. The obvious thing is that it has something to do with the high-fiber foods I eat, but I've been eating them now for months and have always drank lots of water, so I would think the combination, along with the exercise, should keep me pretty cleansed. I do drink quite a bit of caffeinated pop. Thanks for any suggestions.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:14 pm

First thing I thought of when reading your post was that early on, high fiber intake can cause the very symptoms that are bothering you now. But if you've been ingesting the same amount of fiber over the course of months it's probably not the cause.

The second thing that comes to mind, especially over the long haul, would be irritable bowel syndrome. While fiber is supposed to help with this, it doesn't always. It could also be that you're just taking in too much fiber and have wound up making an annoying situation worse in the process. That and the amount of soda you drink (the caffeine wouldn't cause this, but the bubbles would add a lot of gas to the problem).

My best suggestion (aside from talking directly to a doctor) would be to try backing off on the high fiber intake for a week or so and see if the situation improves.

Best of luck to you and please do follow up with us here.

|