News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Hard Stool with Pain in lower left side

redfence800 - Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:41 am

I have been passing hard/small stool over the past few days, basically constipation (ie less BM's, hard to pass, straining). During this time, I have had a slight dull discomfort in my lower Left side. And also a dull pain in my right side right under my ribs. Bloating, and acid reflux also. Is this a normal thing to have during constipation? I have had a sigmoidoscopy with no problems found. Never had blood in stool. Should I be considered about this?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:27 pm

User avatar Hello,

A patient that presents with constipation that is accompanied by weight loss, anemia, hematocezia, fecal occult blood should undergo colonoscopy or barium enema plus flexible sigmoidoscopy.

If constipation is not associated with the organic symptoms mentioned above, then medications that cause constipation are excluded as well as certain systemic diseases. If these are normal then depending on the patients age, the doctor may order a flexible sigmoidoscopy (above 45 years old) vs a therapeutic trial of fiber, fluids or stool softners (younger than 45 years old). If no improvement occurs then anorectal / pelvic floor functions tests or a colonic transit time test may be required.

Best regards.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here