News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Can my 10-year-old switch from Prevacid to Prilosec OTC?

tracylynnlow - Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:53 pm

My daughter is currently taking the prescription Prevacid as she was recently diagnosed with acid reflux disease. Financially this is a huge strain on our family because it runs $326/month. Would there be any negatives to her switching to Prilosec OTC? My husband also has acid reflux and he takes one of them every other day and it works for him. I was just seeing if her age prohibits her from taking the Prilosec?

Thanks for helping by answering this question!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:38 pm

User avatar Hello,
I cannot prescribe for your daughter but I can tell you that safety has been established for pediatric patients over the age of 2 taking Prilosec. Your daughter could probably take between 10 mg and 40 mg. This is not the same medication as the Prevacid but it is effective in treating GERD. You should ask the doctor if there is any reason it would not work as well or if there are concerns we are not aware of.

Good luck.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here