News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: are colonoscopies only for bleeding?

happyhappy - Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:14 pm

I have pelvic pain, many issues are ruled out. it has been suggested irritable bowel. If pain is there but no bleeding would a colonoscopy be diagnostic option. The doctor hasn't suggested it, but I'd like to ask for one
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:52 am

User avatar Colonoscopy is generally recommended routinely in older patients, around age 50 if there is no family history of colon cancer (earlier age if positive history). It is not diagnostic of every possible condition and is usually used in determining cancer, polyps and diverticulitis. Since abdominal pain can generate from a number of different organs and conditions your doctor may believe it is more likely something else. The reason colonoscopy is recommended as a screening tool is because most of the above conditions are not associated with pain or other symptoms until it is very late. Early screening can catch these conditions while they are treatable. If you really want a colonoscopy, ask your doctor if you are a candidate but don't expect it to be definitively diagnostic of your pain.

Best wishes.
 happyhappy - Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:35 am

go for a follow up soon, He didn't do any tests for IBS,we're starting from an assumption & seeing if meds help. My pain is steady, I don't notice a difference or a worstening due to eating. I've been so tired lately. Is IBS only related to eating? I guess not if they want me to take the meds before bedtime too.
 yellowwheel - Thu May 08, 2008 11:15 pm

I am 30 (not a doctor) and have been living with pain for years. I am doing a colonoscopy in 2 weeks. They can see whats going on to help learn about possibilities that might be causing my problem. Sometimes they do it just to rule stuff out too. I asked to have it done because my pain it getting too much to handle. But I do have IBS and they want to see if it is just a condition or caused by something inside. But just because I have pain doesn't mean it is in any way related to your pain. Just adding more info to the test.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here