News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: stabbing pain in my left side

Dingle - Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:35 pm

I have been haveing a stabbing pain in my left side under my ribcage off and on for the past three years. The pain comes nd goes. It last for a three or four weeks and then disappears for a few months. I get four or five quick stabbing pains in my left side under my rib cage or just below the rib cage. I've had x-rays, ultra sound and blood work which all turned out fine. The doctor told me that my white blood count was high and that I was probably coming down with a slight cold. He gave me Davocet, Norflex and Motrin then pretty much brushed me off. The medicines help the pain as long as I continue to take them but when I miss a dose the pain returns. I have another doctors appointment but by the time my appointment arrives the pain will be gone again! And will no doubt return in a few months like always does.
I've stopped taking my perscription so that I can take Alka-Seltzer plus for my cold "which I caught four days later" along with some soup and lots of orange juice and sports drinks.

Can anyony please give me some idea what to do? It's not a chronic pain constaint pain but it

Signed,

stabbing pains.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:57 pm

User avatar Hi there -

As I was reading your post my first thought was that this sort of pain can often be caused by gas that gets trapped in the splenic flexure of the colon. But then you mentioned the elevated white blood cell count, and the location of the pain being at the turn in the large intestine which is named for its proximity to the spleen, and I began to wonder if perhaps you have some sort of problem with your spleen. It rarely would cause pain (even in serious trauma it often doesn't hurt), but there seems to have been no firm reason found for the high WBC either. Have you ever had mono? I think a mono spot test might be in order, just to rule out the possibility of some sort of occult viral infection there. Otherwise, it is very likely what I said at first, gas getting trapped at the splenic flexure of the large intestine. This will definitely cause the symptom you're describing. If everything else pans out normally then you might try some anti-gas tablets available over the counter, and see if that doesn't relieve the pains. If it does, you've got your answer. In fact, you probably could save a lot of time and trouble by trying this first, and if it doesn't help then ask for a mononucleosis test.

That's about the best I can do at a distance. Hope this helps. Good luck to you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here